January 26, 2009

Hair.


Human hair holds so much fascination. In many cultures and during different times in history, it has been a symbol of beauty, wealth and power.

I love long hair.

I have had long hair during the most of my life. For a few years as a child, my mother used to cut it, as she herself enjoys short hair and has had short hair as long as I can remember.
Neither me nor my sister have inherited her beautiful type of hair. Thick, rich and luscious. My sister at least got a beautiful, natural chestnut brown color, however I got a color that has no definition, at least in my book.

Both my mother and her sister had gorgeous hair, judging from the few photographs that exist from their childhood. My mothers hair was straight and my aunts beautifully curly. In those times, according to my mother, washing her long hair was a nightmare. She recalls hating that so much, that as soon as she could, she cut it short. And short it has remain until today.

I find long hair attractive in both men and women. To me, nothing is more feminine nor masculine -oddly enough- than a rich mane of long hair. Maybe it has to do with my romantic inclinations. Dreaming of princes and princesses as young girl, the images would not be right unless the hair was long. Any color would do. As a teenager I was fascinated by knights and the real ones had always long hair. So did their leading ladies.

As a rule, when it comes to our bodies, we are often unhappy with what nature has bestowed upon us. I for once always longed for curly hair and often laugh at the stories my mother told me about her sister, my aunt. She hated her curls and longed for straight hair so much, she would sleep in a cap or roll a scarf around her hair in the night, in order to get it straight.
As a teenager I could briefly achieve curls by using curling irons and hair rollers. Oddly enough, when I got older, and particularly when living in the humid southeast of the US, my hair was often curly. Not very, but significantly enough for me to be pleased.

I have experimented with my hair since me teens. I have had every colour that is possible to achieve using "at home coloring kits"; even green and bright orange. I have been crying and laughing over the results of haircuts and very rarely been pleased by the outcome at the professional hair saloons.

Now my hair just grows, it is wild and free and I hardly ever trim it. And I can never ever imagine having it short. If someone would force me to cut my hair, it would bring me into an absolute panic. Just like in the clip below, taken from the movie musical "Hair", with the films title track. Directed by the Czech director Milos Forman, it is one of my favourite musicals ever.


16 comments:

A Woman Of No Importance said...

I can see from your picture that you do have beautiful hair and enchanting eyes! I have arrived here today via dear Diane - Happy to join you - Your writing appears light, and it is light-filled...

Zuzana said...

Thank you for stopping by; what a kind comment and a big compliment. I am sure you have PLENTY of importance though.;)

Gal Friday said...

I am having one of those rare "good hair" days(I woke up and looked in the mirror and my hair has a wave just like from an old Rita Hayworth movie--I am SO happy today), so it was a delight to read your latest blog just now.

I sometimes wish I could be daring enough to cut my hair very short--just to see what I would look like. But I am afraid it would accentuate my bad features--I think I still tend to "hide" behind my hair. A part of me wants to finally grow up and cut it short. We'll see..

I hope you never cut your hair--and it doesn't seem likely that you'll ever do that. You appear to have shiny, rich brwon(black?) locks that surely make you stand out in a crowd.

Gal Friday said...

Watched the video clip--it SO much fun! I never saw the movie(or even the stage version).

Zuzana said...

Tina, Rita Hayworth is exactly the right description of your hair (and your looks!)
I know what you mean by hiding behind the hair, I used to do that a lot. Please do not cut your hair, as a fan of long locks I can nothing but beg you NOT to.;))
Glad you enjoyed the video! You got to see the movie - it is so very much like the period in which it was made.;) I can highly recommended it for its delightful flower-power feeling.;)

Holly said...

Protege, you are hilarious!!! I love that you put this clip on your blog. I thouroughly enjoyed it! I am not near as attached to my hair now as I was in years past, but I do find long hair absolutely gorgous, dreamy, and at times even ethereal. When I used to make art, my women always wore long and wild tresses. Something so unexplicably romantic about it.

I really enjoyed your other recent posts as well. It is fun that Charlie is soo comfortable making his routine stop on your porch.

Hilary said...

Ah big surprise but I love long hair too. Also for both genders. My own hair is pretty long - never been coloured. I'm saving that for when I'm gray. I've always found long hair to be attractive in men. My own son has waist-length hair and it's beautiful. Frank too is a long-haired hippie type. ;) Great post!

Noelle Chantal said...

Mine is really long too just like your hair Protege. And I just love it that way! I maintain my hair long 'cause it's very sophisticated and stunning looking. You can do braids, ponytails, wavy to curly look etc. etc.

Another great post! :)

Melanie Gillispie said...

I've got thick wavy hair that looks much better short. It grows so fast that I have a hard time keeping up with the cut. When I see my stylist, I always say, "just cut it off!" because by that time I'm usually so sick of it. She thinks its so funny because I always say "It's just hair. It'll probably grow back."

Zuzana said...

Holly, ethereal is the correct word! I love that expression. And as you know, the romantic me find long hair romantic too.;)
And now you got me very VERY curious about your art. What kind of art? Painting, drawings? I too as a young girl drew women with crazy long hair. You simply have to got to post your art, please!;))
Glad you enjoyed the clip!;)
Charlie is lots fun, he also very tame and would come in if I let him.;))

Hilary, I can no believe that you still have your own, natural color, mine has been grey for quiet a while.;))
Your son's hair must be something, and waist long, wow! He is the musician, right?;)
Always glad when you stop by Hilary.;)

Noelle, you have GORGEOUS hair, I have seen it on the pictures on your site. And I agree with your sentiments on why long hair is prefect.;))
Thank you for your nice words and for stopping by.;)

Mel, I would kill for hair like yours; even on that small picture I can see you have the hair of my dreams.;) No wonder the hairdresser might not be so keen on cutting your hair.;) I think you might be wrong, your hair would look incredible if left long.;))

Gal Friday said...

Wow..so many of the commenters here have long hair!! Also, from the way Mel described her thick locks, I know exactly what kind of hair that is--a friend of mine has hair like that. :-)

I AM going to go in for a trim and "shaping" next week(don't worry--nothing drastic) and maybe I'll be bold and color it or highlight it or something. All this hair talk has me a little inspired to treat my own hair with some extra attention.

BTW...no gray hairs yet, on my head(I take after my father that way--he was 50 before he found a grey hair)

Zuzana said...

Tina, happy to hear you found inspiration in this post! I knew from your (previous) picture that your hair must be one of your assets (sure one of MANY!)
I ENVY you the "no grey". And you are right , it is genetic. I too take after my father who had his first grey in his early 20's.;)

Hazel Designs said...

Your hair looks GORGEOUS on your Facebook picture!

Zuzana said...

Thank you so much Hazel, what a wonderful compliment, it was great to read on this gloomy Friday.;))

sallymandy said...

What an interesting post about a topic we face every day. I agree with you about long hair on men. Though for some reason I also love short hair on some women--almost more than on men.

My hair is so curly that having it long is a disaster. It's nevere been longer than my shoulders, and when it was, I just had to keep it pinned up all the time. It literally goes straight out, horizontally. :(

My father is 76, and has no gray hair on his head--though a few in his eyebrows. Isn't that incredible?

Zuzana said...

=sallymandy,
glad you liked this old post of mine; how did you find it?;)
I envy your grandfather, today I think my hair is almost white. I have been contemplating to stop coloring it in about a decade and just have it white.;)) It is so odd you know, as in any other respect I look about 5-10 years younger, but my hair is about 20 years ahead of me.;))
I would LOVE your curly hair, I bet it is gorgeous just as you are; inside and out!;)))
xoxo