In some way, I feel I was born and have lived until now in particular time, when technology has evolved with light speed. Having lived in different countries and being born in the former east block, I feel I have experienced tremendous advances, which - although I have accepted - still intrigue and amaze me.
Below is a list of things I still remember that existed or did not exist, which exposes me for the dinosaur I really am.
1) I remember when a telephone was not common at all; and I remember the telephones with a crank handle being still in use. Of course my whole childhood was spend with a rotary dial telephone only.
2) I remember when mobile (cellular) telephones were science fiction.
3) I remember when personal computer was a wishing tale and the word computer meant a huge, wired monster that took up a large room in a secret building somewhere filled with computer nerds. I actually remember hearing the word computer for the first time.
4) I remember the introduction of Internet late in my adult life.
5) I remember when owning a car was a rarity.
6) I remember when horse drawn carriage was still a common mean of transportation in the country side.
7) I remember when the only heating source in a room was an ceramic or steel oven.
8) I remember kitchens without running water and with stove that was heated by coal.
9) I remember the time when television was black and white, not colored.
10) I remember when remote control did not exist.
11) I remember when there were no digital clocks or displays.
12) I remember the first time I saw a calculator; when only one family owned one in the whole neighborhood.
13) I remember when fax-machines did not exist.
14) I remember writing with a pen that had to be dipped into inkwell.
15) I remember the introduction of escalators and sliding doors.
16) I remember LP's and tapes, I remember the time before CD's.
17) I remember radios so big, they were standing on the floor and took up half of the room.
18) I remember how impressed I was when I saw a VCR for the first time.
19) I remember when microwaves and dishwashers did not exist.
20) I remember when refrigerators were rare, freezers non existent and milk not pasteurized.