March 12, 2009

"Seize The Day."

When I was growing up in Sweden, as a young teenager, both I and my sister were devoted Dick Turpin fans. I have no idea if anyone else remembers this hero, who appeared in a British television drama series, that was send every Saturday morning (in Sweden) in the early 80's. The handsome Richard O'Sullivan starred as an adventurous "highwayman", who spend his time traveling on horseback, robbing people; well mostly the rich I assume.
It was truly entertaining and to us a very romantic perception of a hero. The opening scene, while the credits were rolling was very captivating and mysterious as well; full of shadows and silhouettes of horseman and horse drawn carriages in the mist and fog of the night. As was the music theme, which was very catchy and unforgettable.

As time went by, I have forgotten all about this amusing show I was so intrigued by those twenty plus years ago.
Until very recently, that is. Out of nowhere, suddenly, a very familiar and very unique piece of music was streaming out of the radio one day. After some time I realized, this was a new, modern version of the old Dick Turpin theme.

It is composed by two young guys, forming the Danish group "The Benefits". They were most likely not even born when Dick Turpin was a TV hit. This song that samples the TV theme is called "Seize the Day". "Carpe diem" has always been one of my favorite phrases; being reminded of it in a song with music from my youth seems in some way quiet appropriate.

8 comments:

Diane said...

I don't know Dick Turpin but I like that song! (I can finally see videos again!)

swenglishexpat said...

I also remember that series (on Swedish TV), and I used to watch it. Dick Turpin was a notorious highway man in his day.

The song was a very good pop song, I liked it!

FASHION CHALET said...

I have this soft spot for Pirate films; coincidentally enough whenever I'm at Disney World "Pirates of the Caribbean" is the first ride I go in line for!!!

I'm intrigued to see your ring collection, but be careful, I may want them!! haha.. keep it gorgeous, darling! =]

xx

A Woman Of No Importance said...

I recall seeing Richard a lot on TV - Man About The House and Robin's Nest as I was growing up, but not Dick Turpin.

I really liked the tune, Z, and it's so nice to see something that is Danish music - We see only American and British music, almost exclusively, in the UK, unfortunately...

Hazel Designs said...

I've never heard of this show but it sounds great!

Betsy Brock said...

Isn't it interesting how those shows we watched when we were young made such an impression on us? I've never heard of this one, but I have some favorites as well.

Mahmud Yussop said...

Never seen the series,however the musical theme sound good.And Danish,too.Something new for me.

Zuzana said...

=Diane,
great! I am so happy you can see movies again.;) Yes, the song is a good pop tune.;)

=swenglishexpat,
happy to have found a kindred soul.;) I look forward to find out what else we share in our past having both have lived in the same city.;)))
I think the young Danes managed to capture the spirit of the tune quiet well; particularly playing on the same images in the video.

=Erika,
I agree with you, I love everything to do with pirates as well.;))
I will have to show of my rings then; and you actually wanting to steal them would be a compliment.;))

=Fhina,
yes, he is a handsome man.;)
I never saw any of the shows you mention, I know him mostly from the Turpin series.
I am happy you enjoyed listening to Danish music, I will make sure to upload some more of it in the future.;))

=Hazel,
glad you liked it.;)

=Betsy,
so true, we are so very curious and open to experiences as young and different things effect us differently at a young age than later in life.;))

=Mahmud,
glad you liked it.:D Not as classy and full of quality as Olivia, but possible to enjoy nevertheless.;))
Always glad when you stop by.;)))