November 15, 2009

November Sun.

Finally, the sun is shinning. Not much, but indeed visibly. Those weak rays are so welcomed. I stood outside for a short while, just to feel them on my face...
The sun is at last visiting us on a Sunday, how appropriate that is. Sadly, it will stay a little while only, but it is better than nothing.

I got to think about the sun and how important it is to us. It is the fountain of life and just like water, absolutely essential.

Here are a few interesting facts about this vital star:
(For full list, please visit this site)

Our sun has an expected lifetime of about 11 billion years.

•Our sun and the surrounding planets orbit around the center of the Milky Way galaxy once every 250 million years.

•Only 55% of all Americans know that the sun is a star.

•On its trip around the sun, the earth travels over a million and a half miles per day.

•Lightning bolts can sometimes be hotter than the sun. (about 50 000º F)

•It takes only 8 minutes for sunlight to travel from the sun to the earth, which also means, if you see the sun go out, it actually went out 8 minutes ago.

•In Spit Bergen, Norway at one time of the year the sun shines continuously for three and a half months.

•For 186 days you can not see the sun in the North Pole.

•Every eleven years the magnetic poles of the sun switch. This cycle is called"Solarmax".

•All the coal, oil, gas, and wood on Earth would only keep the Sun burning for a few days.

•Your fingernails can turn yellow from wearing nail polish and from the sun.

•More than 1 million earths would fit inside the sun.

•The sun is 330,330 times larger than the earth.


Below my traditional birch tree update, which is slowly coming to its its end. The tree now only holds onto a few brown, dried leaves on the lower branches of its crown. I think there might be one more, perhaps two more weeks left before it stands completely bare, signifying the onset of winter.

25 comments:

Unknown said...

when i was a kid and my mom said that the sun is actually a star, i said no way, and asked why is it in circle form if it's a star. hahhaha. kids questions.

it's always sunny here. everyday starting from 5am to 6pm.

have a great day

I Am Denise Katipunera

MsTypo said...

•Only 55% of all Americans know that the sun is a star.

That stat is rather disturbing.

Betsy Brock said...

I would have never dreamed the earth traveled a million and a half miles a day! Amazing!

Yes, that birch tree is almost ready for winter! :)

Nessa said...

Very interesting sun facts. I knew it was a star.

Sunny Sunday #6 - Color Me Sunny

Keith said...

Hello. So how's your weekend been? I hope you've been having a good one. Mine's been full of rest and relaxation. I've watched a few movies. I always enjoy stopping by and commenting on your blog. Take care. Have a great week ahead. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

• Only 55% of all Americans know that the sun is a star.

Sad. A lot of Americans also think the world revolves around them. 30% of children here will recieve food stamp assistance to get by some time in their life. The list goes on and on. I am not knocking America - it is my home - but things are far from perfect here.

Brian Miller said...

ahhh...i like the sun. i revolve around it...not the other way. smiles.

beautiful pics!

Blogaire said...

The sun appeared briefly for us today in Dublin, but now normal service is restored - it's starting to rain!
Those are interesting facts about the sun Protege - I especially like the one about Spit Bergen, sounds like my kind of place.
Hope you are enjoying your weekend. And have a good week.

steviewren said...

I would never have thought that a lightening bolt could be hotter than the sun. I also had no idea that the magnetic poles of the sun switch. These are all interesting facts, but I am happy to report that I knew the sun was a star.

Hilary said...

That second photo is beautiful... kind of nice also to see that your tree still holds a bit of colour. Fun facts. You always keep it interesting in here. :)

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Yep, I'm American. And, yep, I knew the sun was a star. What I don't know is how far into that 11 billion years we are...any danger of it going out? Yikes! C

Unknown said...

proud to say I am one of the 55%!

if you use a base coat it helps the nail alot to not turn yellow.

informative post Zuzana. have a wonderful week ahead!!

Unknown said...

Protege: Your tree reminds me of an old album cover from the rock band Blood, Sweat & Tears where their music is described as "rebirth, regeneration and renewal". Life can be this way too! I thought about this with the photos of your tree!:)

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Yes, I did learn a few things from the facts you posted. Awesome, isn't it--I mean the vastness of it and how it is the source of our life here on the earth. V.

Gabrielle said...

I loved reading this post! Your photographs are beautiful.

Sandi McBride said...

God blessed us with sunshine for two days running and temperatures near 80F...great post! I love it when I learn something!
Sandi

Margie said...

So enjoyed this post!
I've been loving the sunshine we've been having here lately but we get lots of it in Colorado.
And love the tree pictures!

Thank you!

Margie:)

♥Mimi♥ said...

We're a lot alike in that I would go outside to feel the sun on my face if it had been hiding for quite a while. I love the facts that you shared with us about the sun. Some I knew and some I didn't - I like to learn new things☺

I will join you in being thankful for the sun. I need it to feel energized and happy. If it hides on me too often I can get a little cranky.☺

Maria said...

There's a certain cold, haunting beauty about the photo of the Sunday with a little sun!

Zuzana said...

Denise, Cairo, Betsy, Nessa, Keith, Zuzu, Brian, Blogaire, Stevie, Hilary, C, Doreen, Michael, V, Gabrielle (welcome), Sandi, Margie, Mimi, gaelikaa – thank you all so very much for your lovely words and the fact that you take the time to stop by. I am always so very appreciative of your visits.
Xoxo
Zuzana

Claus said...

I was watching a documentary on TV yesterday about the predictions of the Mayan calendar in 2012, and the sun was brought up. I had to change the channel!, as I began to really freak out. I love the sun; I'm a summer girl, remember, and I find it vital in my life. However, its power is REALLY scary, and what the scientist said about it (they mention the Aurora Borealis...not always a good sign, though pretty to see), their recent discoveries, and how they fear about the near future, scared the heck out of me! I appreciate the sun, but have a whole new found respect for it.

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

I take such ENERGY from the sun...absolutely essential!

So glad you got a brief glimpse of it in your part of the world!

Zuzana said...

=Claudia,
forget about that end of the world hype, it is not for real.;)) So do not worry your mind about all this.;) xo

=Jill,
I need sun too, it was wonderful to finally see it.;) xo

Bhushavali said...

Sun in the midst of trees.. Wow.. The pics are too good..

Poetry in Stones Part TWO at My Travelogue
My Travelogue, Savoir-Faire

Zuzana said...

=Mitr,
thank you so much.;)xo