July 31, 2009

Flashback Friday: "Better The Devil You Know."

I grew up with Kylie and I am still a fan to this very day. I love everything she has ever made. I love the way she has re-invented herself over the years, without scandals and without "eyebrow raising" behavior. I look at her as some sort of "musical" twin, if you will, considering she is my age.

Today, after she did overcome grave illness, Kylie is still as beautiful, talented and inspiring as I remember her from my teens. Her music holds sentimental and emotional ties to my youth and she connects my past and my present like no other artist.

I loved the bubble gum sugar sweet pop by Stock Aitken Waterman, that she did in her early twenties. As she was turning into a woman, suddenly the sweet image was gone and the video below was released in 1990, showing her as a more sensual young woman than a girl next door, which we all knew and loved from the long running show "Neighbors". Nevertheless, it still contained playful undertones and innocent freshness of youth. As I too was becoming an adult at that time, this song was constantly being replayed on my tape-recorder.

At times I wish I was back in that moment, when everything was just about to begin...

13 comments:

Reading Tea Leaves said...

I love Flashback Friday - what a treat. Kylie has certainly proved she is a fighter, and she always comes across as such a lovely person.
I hope you are enjoying the time spent with your parents.
Have a great weekend!
Jeanne
x

Rajesh said...

Very nice. I have heard few of her songs.Whatever I have heard, I loved it.

Phivos Nicolaides said...

I respect and admire the fighers of life! Excellent post! Kind regards!

Claus said...

I'm often surprised at how much in common we have Ms.Z! I've too liked Kylie for a looong time! I knew her after you, as everything comes later here :-), but I immediately loved her work, both as a singer (especially), and the couple of movies I have seen of her (especially The Delinquents). Good song choice! I've been listening to her X album myself for the last few days.
Have a great Friday!

Blogaire said...

Great choice Protege! Kylie is definitely up there with Madonna as a pop icon.I can't see the present crop of pop Diva's lasting that long. My own favourites funny enough are "On a night like this" and "Can't get you out of my head", but of course I loved ALL Kylies and the Stock Aitken Waterman stuff at the time...
Have a nice weekend!

Keera Ann Fox said...

Kylie Minogue has never been an artist I felt compelled to buy a whole album of, but as you say, she does carry herself - and her career - with dignity even for a pop diva. She's somebody I like rooting for, somebody who is easy to respect.

I too was sold on the style of Stock-Aitken-Waterman. They had a lot of hits in the '80's and launched a lot of careers - and a few "døgnfluer". I totally enjoyed this blast from the past. Happy music! Thanks!

Barbro Andersen said...

Re: Oh, I missed one comment when accepting them earlier today! Thank you so much for those lovely words, you truly made me smile. I have never heard anyone say that I look like Paulina Porizkova, but thank you - that's quite a compliment!

Have a great weekend, you too - and I will enjoy the fashionshows! Thank you for the lovely comment!

Hilary said...

I fine tribute to her.. though I admit I was never familiar with her music. One day we're going to figre out someone we both love! I'm hopeful. ;)

Maria said...

I remember Kylie's Stock Aitken Waterman hits. Then I went away and you know I was amazed when I looked her up recently and discovered she's still HUGE and not in the forgotten zone at all. One day years ago we stumbled on one of her SAW hits in an MTV flashback special 'I Should Be So Lucky' and my kids loved it. They were singing it for weeks!

sallymandy said...

I really enjoyed this. I'm not very familiar with Kylie's music, but now know more about her. Thanks!

I, too, feel sentimental about that early adulthood time in my life...when, as you said, everything was about to begin.

Zuzana said...

Thank you everyone for taking the time to stop and listening to a catchy tune from my youth.;)) Even if it doesn't appeal to all of you, at least it will expose you to styles of music that you would not know abut otherwise.;))
I always appreciate everyone's comments and am touched by the fact that you take your time to stop by and leave them.;))

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Unknown said...

I remember when she was new on the scene. I don't remember what year that was though. she was hot for a while then I think she took ill and you didn't hear much about her for a while. I always liked her music.

Zuzana said...

=Doreen,
yes, she is an interesting woman in a field that is dominated by men and where it is difficult to survive.
Glad you too enjoy her work.))