September 01, 2009

Summerlike 1st Of September.

The 1st Of September was a special term in my childhood.
It meant a "back to school" day when I was a child in Czechoslovakia. It symbolized the end of summer and the beginning of autumn, when the swallows would gather and fill the skies, while preparing for their long relocation to Africa.

Today, the first autumn month has begun. But today feels anything but autumn-like. The summer seems to have returned, even for just one day. And indeed, what a difference 24 hours can make.
Yesterday, for the first time in months, I had to turn on the head lights of my car while driving home from work. This always signifies the onset of the fall season, when the light is disappearing with an increasing speed. Each day, multitude of minutes are removed from our days and added to our nights.

I guess the weather Gods must have taken pity on us and decided to bestow upon us one last summer day. The sky is blue and clear, the air is warm and the sun is shining. Its rays are milder and coming from a lower angle then in the midst of June, but it is there.

And my mood was improved even more when I opened my mailbox and discovered a surprise surface mail.
A postcard.
A beautiful, hand written art by - and from - steviewren, my very talented blog-friend. I have seen numerous of her pictures and drawings on her blog, but let me tell you, it is nothing like seeing one in reality. Her style is so very unique; I love the way she uses colours and how she captures the essence of the people she draws.

Thank you so much 'Stevie' for taking the time to write to me and for the privilege of receiving a hand made card. In the modern world, when technology is moving forward with light speed and electronic correspondence has taken over the way we communicate, it feels unique to receive a handwritten mail.
Reading it is so much more personal and candid in every way.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

check out your award, over at mine.

Julie Hibbard said...

Beautiful story...
Life goes on and the little surprises and gifts that it brings are still the best of all...

steviewren said...

Protege, thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you liked it. It's my privilege to know you.

I'm wondering. How many hours of sunshine do you have a day now? It gets light here around 6 am and dark by 7:30 pm. We are on daylight savings time right now so that would be 5 to 6:30 in real time. We've lost about 1 1/2 hours of light since June I suppose....my calculations are very non-scientific....

Absolutely Ladylike said...

Dear Zuzana!

What a beautiful card. I finally returned to the blogosphere and have to catch up with your always thoughtful posts :-)

Thank you so much for the lovely comments you left on my blog during I was away :-)
It meant a lot to me.

Have a lovely day and see you soon, much love: Evi

Harnett-Hargrove said...

Hi,
Alas, I reckon we will be hearing much of the change of seasons...
I love the heat, but also love the colors and depth of autumn..
Thanks for popping by Minotaur.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your writing. -Jayne

Betsy Brock said...

I think it's 1 minute a day that we loose as the sun sets earlier. I love fall, but do miss the daylight in the evenings! We are having the opposite weather with chilly days and sunshine...just like fall should be!

I do agree that a Stevie postcard would brighten up any day! :)

Hilary said...

I so agree with you. (except about that autumn part. It's still summer, darn it!) ;) I too received a lovely post card from Steviewren and unlike you, I was remiss at making mention of it on my blog. But yes, it's lovely, unique and a treasured piece of art from a friend.

Summer, Z!! Summerrrrrrr! ;)

Baron's Life said...

September 1st...yes it's that time of the year when the summer Gods gracefully surrender to the onslaught of coming Autumn...time for renewal...time for preparation...time for harvest

Rajesh said...

Beautiful post. Even here weather has been very cold and yet times raining.

Loved those stamps.

Claus said...

When I woke up today, I was thinking how September always meant the "beginning" of the end of the year. And though I thought the strange weather, with an extended summer, was going to make it different, it DOES feel like September today! It's windy (not like in Demanrk though ;-), cool, and there's a special something in the air hard to describe, but typical to this month of the year. Hard to believe it's September already, huh?

Great card! It is amazing to find something in the mailbox in this era of emails! I get the same excitment feeling every time I get a letter. It is simply the best.

Rosezilla (Tracie Walker) said...

Such a beautiful, colorful card! I love snail mail. I can imagine you must miss the light. We get so very much of it, and it is a privilege. My son just moved to Indiana and he is having a hard time adjusting to the overcast skies. I'm like you tho in that I do not like the wind!

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

WHAT a TREAT to go to your mail box and find the post card from Stevie!!!
A treasure for sure! I love her creativity!
I hope your day was enjoyable with the blue skies!
XO
J

Phivos Nicolaides said...

I like stories like this!

Reading Tea Leaves said...

A lovely story Protege, and such a wonderful surprise in your mail box!

Jeanne
x

Zuzana said...

=MelRoXx,
thank you so much sweetie, I appreciate it.;)) xo

=Julie,
I am so with you on that way; I think we share the same sentiments when it comes to life.;)) xo

=stevie,
right back at you.;))
Here it is similar in regards to daylight; it gets light at 5:30AM and dark at around 8:00PM. However, we have by now lost almost 4h light since June.:(( So the difference is more palpable.
The reason why it is dark when I drive home is that I work "funny" hours, from 11:00AM to 8:00PM.;)) But, on a more happier note, my solar lamps are now all alight to greet me coming home.;))
Thank you again for the card, it made my day.;)) xo

=Evi,
so glad to see you back! I hope you are enjoying your stay in Hungary, I have truly missed you.;)) Always so happy when you stop by.;)) xo

=Jayne,
thank you for your kind words; you are very talented and I will sure return to your place. Looking forward to your visits again.;)) xo

=Betsy,
yes, in your part it goes slower. Here the difference in daylight is so visible at this time. No to mention when we get off the daylight savings time. It will be pitch dark by the time I come home...
But, fall has its charms too.;))
The card was a wonderful sentiment.;))
xo

=Hilary,
hehe, I am so sorry, it is SUMMER; SUMMER; SUMMER. I will repeat this the whole day.;)) xoxo

=Baron's Life,
that is so very poetic! I do like the harvest time though, thee is something very pleasing about that.;))

=Rajesh,
I guess no one escape the bad weather once in a while.;)) Stevie will be happy that you like the stamps, I agree.;))

=Claudia,
it so amazing with your weather, I wonder what weather it truly is. I somehow think it is tropical all the time, but that is most likely wrong.;) I agree, snail mail is the best!;)) xo

=Rosezilla,
ah, your poor son, it will be so difficult for him once the winter comes.
So good to see you back again!!! xoxo

=Jill
I love your always happy, optimistic comments, your personality shines through them.;)
Yes, it was a lovely surprise, Stevie is so talented and kind.;))
xo

=Phillip,
thank you so much.;))

=Jeanne,
thank you, always so happy when you stop by.;))