May 24, 2010

Veils Of White.

As gentleman Summer ends his lovely visit, it is time to enjoy all the gifts he has left behind. Aside for giving us a sneak preview of what is perhaps to come in a month or two, it also left our nature in bloom.

I have two bushes that bloom in May. One of them is my pride and joy, my precious Cherry Laurel that lines my front terrace. Damaged severely by winters frost, this spring it is struggling to renew itself and thus has so far produced no flowers.
The other shrub that gives rise to absolutely stunning white veil of flowers are my two kinds of Spiraea. I love these sturdy bushes, with their dark red branches, giving winter a hint of colour and beautiful autumn foliage, with bursts of yellow and red, a stunning addition to the landscape in late fall.
The first Spiraea blooms in May, the second one in June. I always await these flowers with great anticipation, as they signify the imminence of summer days.

As seen on the traditional update of my Birch Tree below, the first Spiraea bloom has began. Likewise, the Birch is now full of fresh new foliage. It has lost all its catkins and is thus ready for the summer season.
Even though these updates could now conclude, I hope you might still enjoy them for a few more Mondays. I'd like to follow the progress in the nature surrounding this magnificent tree a while longer, while we reach the culmination of the green growth in a a couple of weeks, at the onset of the summer season.

(Please click the image to enlarge.)

24 comments:

S. Susan Deborah said...

Zuzana:

All these flowers and trees are so familiar now. If I had been in India, I would have never known them nor seen them.

Hope your cat is doing well and so is your Irishman!

So long.

Joy always,
Susan

Anonymous said...

What a difference a week makes!

Brian Miller said...

its like a floral fireworks show...last week the pink in the bottom left was blooming bu is now gone, but the white on the right has rreplaced it...i like it.

hope your week starts off wonderfully...

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Look forward to the updates and all you have to offer!!! Cathy

Reading Tea Leaves said...

There is such a visible difference in your birch tree update Zuzana - quite amazing in just one week.

I'm so glad to hear that you have warmth and burgeoning flowers at last - I know how difficult this delayed spring has been for you. There is so much to look forward to in the garden and I'm sure your Cherry laurel will renew itself soon.

Jeanne
xx

Keith said...

Hey there. Cool post. I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Thanks for your comment on my latest post. Have a fantastic week ahead.

Kath said...

I love Spiraea, I had one in our last garden, called "Bridal bouquet", I always thought that was a perfect name :)

Sukanya said...

Ahhh... lovely pictures again :)!!!

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

I love to see the different flowering bushes! The veil of white is so LUSH and so ABUNDANT! Lovely.

sprinkles said...

I had a very different "veil of white" this past Saturday - it snowed throughout the day! Thank goodness it's gone now.

I'm glad you're going to continue with your birch tree updates, I enjoy seeing how much it's changed from week to week. It's really filled out since the last picture!

Elizabeth said...

Yes, our gentleman of Summer was gone today. Although at the moment it looks like he wants to see what is happening around the corner.

Have a lovely evening.

xoxo Elizabeth

Jeannette StG said...

Oh, I had a Spirea in Holland,, only it was a tiny plant! Yours is beautiful. I notice that your seasons are masculine (giggles):)

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Your pictures are full of natural beauties!!

Claus said...

Beautiful tree! Each time I see a Monday picture, I can't help but remember the "other stages" of it, in winter, autumn...so wonderful these changes are.
We will sure enjoy more progressive photography Mondays!!
havea lovely day.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Wow, Zuzana! What a difference a week makes...So lush and green...and the flowers are spectacular! And I love the table and bench...I can imagine myself sitting there with you, enjoying a latte and a long chat! Have a beautiful day! You've made mine just lovely!!! ~Janine XO

Lulda Casadaga said...

I so enjoy your updates. Just yesterday, I looked out in my back yard and the tree that hides my neighbors yellow door was in full bloom. I said "damn look the leaves are fully out"...oh, I said this to myself...maybe my dog heard! :D Every year I try to plant more and more flowers, etc.
My thumb is getting greener!!

Have a fantastic week...

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Amazing progression of new growth! I would love to know more of your summer season! Hope the cherry laurel blooms!

Donna said...

Your Spirea is beautiful, Zuzana. What a difference in your birch tree!

Hugs,
Donna

Cat in the road said...

In a past posting you were worried that the volcanoes in Iceland could possibly cheat you out of a summer. It looks like Mr. Summer will show up after all.

Zuzana said...

Susan, Eternally..., Brian, Cathy, Jeanne, Keith, Kath, Sukanaya, Jill, sprinkles, Elizabeth, jeannette, Philip, Claudia, Janine, Lulda, C or V, Donna and Scribe, thank you everyone for your very kind comments.

I so enjoy reading your thoughts and sentiments and always appreciate your visits.
I am so glad that you have not grown tired of my Birch Tree updates yet.;)

Xoxo,
Zuzana

Bhushavali said...

The green is becoming greener and greener!!!

Standing in the junction on 3 rivers
Fashion Panache - The Stripey Dress

Zuzana said...

Thank you Mitr Friend-Bhushavali.;)

Cheryl Kohan said...

That birch tree is amazing the way it changed. It seems as though one day there are no leaves on the trees and the next day there are. Spirea is one of my favorite shrubs!

Zuzana said...

Thank you so much Cheryl, I so enjoy when you stop by.;) I love Spiraea too.;) xo