May 28, 2010

Flashback Friday: "Angel Si Ti".

Considering this is the Eurovision Song Contest week, I am going to make an exception with today's Flashback. Today I am not sharing an oldie, but a contemporary tune in the very beautiful and sensual Bulgarian language.

To those of you who are not European, the term Eurovision means nothing. But believe me, this is the only televised event that manages to unite (and divide) Europe like nothing else can. It has grown over the decades to become a massive undertaking, with 39 countries participating. In 2009, the show was watched by some 125 million people.
I have described the contest in details last year, thus I will not bore you with the facts today. Except to point out that once again, after two semifinals, the best songs did not even make it to tomorrows final.

Thus, let me present to you one of my absolute favorite entries this year. It might come across as flamboyant, processed and over the top, but this is exactly what a great pop song should be. It is music that makes us feel good.
The compilation below sounds good and looks good and appeals to all my senses. I enjoy it like a lavish desert. I love the catchy harmonies, that make me want to get up and dance, a sensation I have not felt for a very long time. I love the images and the sentiments and most of all, I simply love the language. To me, who has Slavic roots, the lyrics below (of which I understand some) appear as a combination of Slavic and Latin; a language match made in heaven.

"Angel Si Ti", meaning "You Are An Angel" preformed by Miro (Miroslav Kostadinov) is one of the best songs in this contest. Even though voted out in yesterdays semifinal, it has won my heart.
Well done Bulgaria.

15 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Years ago I watched the European songcontest for the last time. The reason for this is that every year in the Dutch press there are public fights about the song, the singer, the clothes or whatever. It is such a big turn off that I don't bother anymore.

Now you presented this song and I have to admit it is a good song. Maybe next year I will make an effort again.

Have a lovely friday, we still have bright blue skies and the sun is shining in all its glory.

Elizabeth

Brian Miller said...

have been following the updates on goofball's sight...it is an intriguing thought. the finale is this weekend? or next week...

anyway, the song is enjoyable...i actually like the one of the man selling his guitar too....

ErinBurlingam雅萍 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Paul C said...

Thanks for introducing me to Eurovision. We have just gone through American Idol which consumes quite a large cross section of North America in the final rounds. This song/video you share is very good.

Rebecca said...

I've heard about Eurovision but hadn't heard this song. Oh, I do like this one...

Have a lovely weekend! :)

Claus said...

I didn't understand a word, yet I liked it! :-) what was it out of the final? and the curious thing is that often some "weird" acts do pass on. The Eurovision contest was being discussed with some acquaintances lately, and some said they didn't like it as it was not about the song and singer anymore. True, but it is still and entertaining show to see, wouldn't you agree? I watch it!, and I'm nowhere near Europe :-) yet is has been a thing for me for the last few years. I hope I can catch it tomorrow!
have a great weekend!

Cat in the road said...

"The compilation below sounds good and looks good and appeals to all my senses. I enjoy it like a lavish desert. I love the catchy harmonies, that make me want to get up and dance, a sensation I have not felt for a very long time..."
-
This is the 'Z' I like to see.
Have great weekend ;-)

sprinkles said...

Don't understand a word that guy is saying and yet it's still a beautiful song. The video is too!

I was going to say something about Amercian Idol but I see a someone has already mentioned it.

Hope you're enjoying a fabulous Friday!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

I could listen to him all day!!! WOW! What a voice! So magnetic...melodious! Phenomenal! Thanks so much for posting this...I'm going to look for more on YouTube! Love, Janine XO

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

best wishes for you.
cheers!

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Very good song!

Keera Ann Fox said...

I didn't pay attention to the semi-finals so I don't know how some good entries, like Bulgaria's, got kicked out and worse ones made to the finals.

I'm pleased that Germany's entry won, though I wouldn't have voted for it.

Congratulations on a nice 4th place to Denmark!

I thought Norway's should have done better, but at least we didn't win again, since it's very expensive to host these things. Speaking of expense, there was a bit of dark humor going around: If Germany wins, it pays the bill next year; if Greece wins, Germany still pays the bill. ;-)

Zuzana said...

Elizabeth, Brian, Paul, Rebecca, Claudia, Scribe, sprinkles, Janine, Jingles, Philip and Keera; so happy you liked the song too.;) Interesting that even you not residing in Europe are familiar somewhat with this song contest.;)
Yes indeed, as the lovely Keera points out, Germany won (liked the joke btw;). It was a good song, there were better though, so not my favorite, but not one that I dislike either.;) And yes, to put together this show is very expensive, but I think Norway did an absolutely GREAT job.;))

Thank you everyone as always for taking the time to stop by and listen and for leaving kind comments.;)

xoxo
Zuzana

Keera Ann Fox said...

On behalf of Norway, thank you, Zuzana!

Jeannette StG said...

Oh, do I remember this song contest! My parents used to watch it (so, I did too:) )