May 16, 2012

Festival Of Light.

Once again, our evening sky becomes lit up as a silver hue settles across the heavens upon sunset. We commence the time of white nights here in the cold North and the countdown to midnight sun has begun, even though my position is in the southern most Scandinavia, where the midnight sun is used as a symbolical term only.

Still, our day has gained almost nine hours since winter solstice and the time of dusk is now stretched to comprise one hour short of midnight and is only growing. In a month the night will truly be white, or light as we say here.

I love this time of the year and it is now that my heart experiences a bittersweet longing for the views I once had at my disposal at the white house on the hill. Every day, with the onset in May, offered spectacular sunset skies and an endless twilight horizon. Today all I see are treetops and red roofs.
However, that is life - we gain some and we loose some. I have gained on so many other levels, that this is sacrifice I gladly take.

On our recent drive home from one of the Danish islands, after visiting my husbands family, we experience beautiful views of a late sunset as it unraveled over the sea, before we embarked on a ferry to take us home. Later we watched the silver skies accompany us home all the way through to the other side of midnight.
It made me realize that even though I do not get to see the stunning views on regular bases, the few times I get the privilege to see them makes the experience even more precious and enchanting.



28 comments:

Rahul Bhatia said...

Beautiful recreation of nostalgia through writing and pictures, Zuzana:)

Ines said...

Good Morning, beautiful "wify" :-)

thank you for your compliments. Sometimes I think of the time, when my kids were so little and we looked Kids-TV- I loved that - and we made some trips to the nature and now my little girl is wearing my shoes :-)

Your sky is always beautiful- I love it to look into the sky at the clouds when I go running in the evening- a great feeling.
But it´s really dark in the North- I don´t know, if I could live there. I need much of light and wintertime makes me sometimes sad.

Here we have cold weather in the moment a a lot of flowers are still standing on my terrace, waiting for their moment, I can plant them in the garden.

Enjoy your day- looking 1000 times at your beautiful ring :-)

♥Ines

S. Susan Deborah said...

You cannot imagine how happy it is to see Zuzana's pictures again. You have been missed and glad to read you.

xoxoxo.

Joy always,
Susan

sprinkles said...

Congratulations on your marriage!

I've missed you and am glad you're back.

Elizabeth said...

Just love your pictures as you well know! Hope we will get to see some gorgeous skies when we are out and about at Romø.

Enjoy your day my dear Zuzana, I'll be thinking of you.

Kat_RN said...

Beautiful,and yes, it is easier to appriciate the things we do not see every day. Welcome back.
Kat

Anonymous said...

How nice to see your wonderful sky photos again! You might not see this scenery often but the rare times you do, you enjoy the moment even more.
Take care dear friend. xo

Brian Miller said...

ah what beautiful skies...still would love to visit your part of the world your day nights seem like magic...smiles.

Dulçe ♥ said...

BEAUTIFUL, as YOU, Zusana!

Anonymous said...

This is the best time for those of us who live in Scandinavia...

Your sky shots are lovely! I hope you get to see many more.

Darla said...

Breathtaking... "the few times I get the privilege to see them makes the experience even more precious and enchanting" and you are so right as we embrace the gifts of change. I recently moved from the thick greenery of acres in the Maine countryside to a housing subdivision in the arid sonora desert of Arizona and the gifts of diversity abound.

Catherine said...

Amazing skies Zuzana

Kath said...

beautiful photos! glad you're back x

Ruby said...

Love your skies. Ive missed your sky photos :)) Cheers, Ruby

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

The oranges are amazing. I love it when you post about the Festival of Light.

Diane said...

I've so missed your lyrical posts and beautiful pictures!! xo

Rajesh said...

The view of the sky in your part of world always mesmerizes me.

Laura said...

breathtaking dear one! many, many years ago, as a high school student I spent 3 weeks traveling through parts of Europe on a choral tour. The first place we stayed was outside of Amsterdam and I remember how amazing it was that it was still light near midnight!

tony said...

The View Remains Vivid & Strong!!! Is Your Sun Warm This Year? I ask because we had frost last night! & they have forecast snow in Scotland today! Crazy Weather! oxox Tony.

Myrna R. said...

The pictures are stunning. The sky is so hypnotic.

I love that you talk about your "husband". I can feel the melancholia in missing him.

Take care Zuzana. I'm so glad you're back.

A Lady's Life said...

The sky is gorgeous especially when seen through loving eyes :)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful skies!
Time changes the views outside our eyes and inside. It's all in how we see them. Wayne Dyer said "when you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” I'm so glad you are able to appreciate your new views.
I hope your time apart from your husband will go quickly for you. Be sure to enjoy the time for yourself, as well.

Hilary said...

So beautiful. There's always a deep, rich blue to your sunsets that I never see in our skies.

Aishwarya said...

Loved the pictures;)

SandyCarlson said...

Your blog is a beautiful celebration of life for which I am very grateful!

Ash said...

The light and colours you've captured here are absolutely divine! ( Oh, and I completely agree with Sandy's comment)

Anonymous said...

thank you, zuzana for this pretty
adventure.

Rowan said...

What beautiful photographs, you are fortunate to be able to see sights like this even if it's only occasionally. I live in a valley and in hilly country so rarely see a proper sunrise or sunset.